Listen to learn to obey
Listening is absorbing and accepting the information we read and hear about God. Learning is understanding its meaning and implications. Obeying is putting into action all we have learned and understood. All three parts are essential to a growing relationship with God.
Clarke points to these five action steps:
1. God speaks to the people.
2. The people are called to hear what God speaks.
3. To learn what they heard, that they may be thoroughly instructed in the will of God.
4. To keep God’s testimonies ever in mind, and to treasure them up in a believing and upright heart.
5. That they might do them – obey the whole will of God, taking his word for the invariable rule of their conduct.
When I hear the word of God I must learn it; and what I have learned I must put in practice, for that is the result of hearing and learning; not to fill my head with notions, or my mouth with talk, but to direct my affection and conduct as I serve my Lord and Saviour.
- In 2012 Listen, Obey, Grow In God’s Flow (pureglory.net)